May 10, 2008

EGYPTIAN WALKING ONIONS ARE THRIVING

Yippee! Look at my Egyptian Walking Onions! I'm thrilled that they've bounced back, and have already been snipping away at the lovely greens for my salads. (Photo taken on May 6th)


Here is another view, below, that shows an adjusted version of my so-called "self-watering" method. (I'd initially set this pot's string up to lead into a large bottle of water under the plant stand.) There is always a space of air between the bottom of the clay pot and the top of the water in the glass bowl.

A really big mistake I made was that I used just string for the wick. Can't imagine why I did that. String has worked pretty well for little seedling pots, and I suppose I was just on an unthinking roll when I rigged up other, much larger pots the same way. Really, I did intend to use much thicker wicks made from old T-shirts. The strings on my larger pots keep drying out and thus stopping their work - seems like some bouts of quite cold weather interfered, but no doubt there are other reasons.

Nevertheless, I'm not about to uproot this plant to redo the wick. If I have to, I'll just water it normally this year. I haven't quite decided if this newer, enclosed, bowl of water is working better or not.

No comments: